Pre-Spring Skin Care

Pre-Spring Skin Care

Next Season-Next Steps for Great Skin

FACT: Healthy, clear, and beautiful skin starts with good habits. It’s the smart choices you make throughout the years that add up and pay off. What people usually get wrong is thinking the fate of their skin’s future is all based on genetics. While we are genetically programmed from birth to age a certain way (called intrinsic aging), genetics are now only thought to be responsible for 20-30% of aging. The other 70%-80% is up to you. Caring for your skin the right way, day in and day out, is essential. My 34 expert tips will make a world of difference if you follow them faithfully.

1. NEVER, EVER, USE A BAR OF SOAP ON YOUR FACE OR ANY CLEANSER THAT LEAVES YOUR SKIN FEELING DRY. The binders that hold a bar of soap together are in an alkaline base (high pH balance). This strips all the water and natural oils from the skin, causing the skin’s surface to dehydrate. Your skin cells need moisture in order to be healthy. Without water, acne, sensitivity, and dry skin become aggravated and worsen. Even if the manufacturers of the soap claim it’s moisturizing, it will still strip the skin, no matter what.

The rule for any cleanser is: More lather, more drying. Less lather, less drying. So, when choosing a cleanser, always look for the words ‘sulfate-free’ on the bottle. This implies that harsh detergents were removed from the formula so it’s safer and gentler for your face. My very favorite recommendation for super-sensitive skin is Obagi Gentle Cleanse. (it is SO GOOD!)

2. AVOID USING TONER THAT CONTAINS SD ALCOHOL 40 OR DENATURED ALCOHOL. Many people like the clean and tight feeling associated with using alcohol on the skin. Unfortunately, though, alcohol strips the skin of water. This, then, results in dead cell buildup and dullness. Trying to dry oily skin with harsh ingredients like alcohol actually has the opposite effect. As a reaction to the drying ingredient, the skin increases oil production as part of its healing and balancing processes. Toners without alcohol are very important for removing drying chlorines, salts and minerals found in tap water. Think of a toner as the rinse cycle for your skin after cleansing. Make sure to use a toner both morning and night after cleansing. My toner is Obagi and leaves my skin feeling supple and healthy.

Pro tip: Always leave your toner damp before applying your serum or moisturizer. This helps seal the toner’s hydrating benefits deep into the skin.

3. BE MINDFUL OF HOW YOU SLEEP ON YOUR PILLOW AT NIGHT. This may come as a surprise, but did you know the second cause of wrinkles. I’ve been using silk pillow cases and they work wonders. No drag.

4. GET REGULAR FACIALS FROM AN EXPERIENCED ESTHETICIAN. It’s a fact that a proper home care routine is essential in keeping your skin healthy and looking beautiful. However, when your home skincare products aren’t giving you the results you want. That’s why it’s so important to visit me once a month for a Medical Facial. It allows me to find any problem areas before they get out of control.

5. It’s a great time to get the laser or microneedling or vampire Facelift. New spring. New you. Don’t forget about laser hair removal. Be ready when the moment presents itself. No more razor stubble worries.


Pre-Spring Skin Care
Pre-Spring Skin Care